Jump to main content

My well water tested positive for E. coli. What measures can I take to protect myself?

If your well tests positive for E. coli, you should boil the water for at least one minute at a rolling boil before drinking it. You may also disinfect the well according to procedures recommended by your local health department.  After disinfection, you can monitor your water periodically to make certain that the problem does not recur.  If the contamination is a recurring problem, you should install a point-of-entry disinfection unit, which can use chlorine, ultraviolet light, or ozone, or investigate the feasibility of drilling a new well.  More information regarding E. coli is available at http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/ecoli.cfm.   Information on household well maintenance is available at http://water.epa.gov/drink/info/well/index.cfm.

Rating:Rating of 2.5 Stars127 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo

Frequent Questions

Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-21548
  • Date Created: 04:21:2005
  • Last Modified Since: 05:20:2015
  • Viewed: 10704

Jump to main content.